Contemplating Time in the Desert

This morning I started reading Matthew again. I have no idea how many times I have read through this book of the Bible and I still love reading from the NIV Bible I received when I attended The Stony Brook School for my high school  years. Seeing my notes in the margins and what stuck with me and made a difference during those years in high school and college brings a smile to my face. It also reminds me of where I was and what I have walked through.

Anyway, this morning I started at the beginning and read through the time when Jesus was in the desert and tempted (Matthew 4:1-11). This was directly after his baptism and anointing of the Holy Spirit and before he began to preach and minister to the people. 

If we truly desire to follow Christ's example, that means that after we receive an anointing and before we get to walk in it, there is a time of testing. A time where we need to "grow up" and mature so that we can effectively walk and influence others. Ouch! Anyone else scrunch up their nose at that statement or are you already trying to come up with an end-around?

Our nature doesn't like this process. We want things done quick. We want it easy. We don't want to go through the process. Trying to come up with a rebuttal or a plea deal that sounds something like "wait a second God, I was just anointed and have what is needed (gifts, talents, etc.) to go and make a difference. To go and fulfill what I am supposed to do. Can't we just skip this time in the desert? We can be way more efficient and effective without this uncomfortable process."

Almost like a spiritual temper tantrum. That's how I picture it in my mind anyway. 

But that is not how life is going to work. If anyone should have been able to skip that step, it should be Jesus. But he didn't. And while that means we will experience desert-like times in life, it also means that we are supposed to and that those desert times are preparation for the full impact our lives can have on those around us. For His Kingdom.

I know I didn't give in to a single temper tantrum my boys attempted. In fact, I told them that it was difficult for my ears to hear what they were trying to tell me and that they needed to get themselves under control first before we could have a conversation. Did that work? Yes. They realized that I meant what I said and truly listened to their concerns. That didn't mean they got their way. But they were heard and we conversed and they knew that I was an advocate for them. They came to realize they could trust me.

How does that apply here? Maybe He is waiting for us to stop our complaining and belly-aching nonsense so we can have a conversation. It's true that we might not like what He has to say and we will probably not get what we think we want in the way we want it. But, it also could mean that we will receive peace and know that He does indeed hear us and love us and is worthy of our trust. 

In Matthew 4, three temptations are documented while Jesus was in the desert for 40 days. That's a long time or at least could feel that way. I've heard people question when they think someone has been in a personal desert for too long that maybe they're doing something wrong. Maybe they aren't learning the lesson quick enough. 

Maybe we have no idea what we are talking about.

Maybe we should stop trying to create a formula through which following Christ works.

Maybe we need to keep our eyes on our own life's choices and ask God if we need a course correction or not.

Maybe we need to stop, have a conversation and trust the ONE who is faithful and true.

Three temptations. 40 days. I think if it was up to us, we would want to bang out those 3 lessons in 3 days. Right? Like why make it 40 days? And to my number loving mind, it's kind of annoying that 40 isn't easily divisible by 3. Of course that supports that there really isn't a set formula. While we continue to look for the formula, God just keeps reminding us to trust Him and follow His lead.

Maybe that is the ultimate lesson.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

His Breath

His Breathe

The Spoken Word